Wednesday 7 May 2014

One brick at a time...rebuilding Christchurch

My trip to New Zealand is nearly over and I am glad to have been able to spend a little extra time in my home town of Christchurch.

This is my third trip since the September and February 2011 earthquakes, my earlier visit to the city was filled with a landscape of crumbled buildings, fences, vacant lots and the constant flow of orange traffic cones guiding you through the maze of pot holes and road hazards.

This trip I found myself in the city early one evening surrounded by an eerie silence, the once bustling nightlife now has become a stark contrast to the times from my late teens and early twenties  now the only sound to be heard is a lone dog howling in the distance.

Summarising what I have seen during this trip, pot holes are still there but a little less, the traffic cones are definitely still there but have become a standard road ornament, new buildings are emerging from the once vacant oasis.

I don't usually photograph construction or building equipment but this what I saw.













 
 
Christchurch I will be back again soon, I look forward to seeing what all the metal framework and cranes will produce for my next visit. trendy clothing stores? new office blocks or a restaurant for a evening meal out?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment